Re: Debian JR packages and diskless workstations.

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I am currently using stuff
from www.ltsp.org quite sucessfully. It gives me the packages and config
setting needed to get everything going. I am currently using floppy images
of BootProms for booting the workstations. Once I get all the bug ironed
out, I'll be using proper BootProms.

One problem I've recently encountered. After upgrading to Ivan's 2.1 Potato
packages, I find that the X-Server dies on the terminal if I open, say
netscape and a shell terminal. At the moment, the workstation loads it's
kernel via DHCP. This kernel image sets up a 1M Ram drive. Once booted, the
root directory is mounted R/O and the Ram Drive is used to mount
directories that need write access, I.E. /var /etc and such. The system was
working fine with teh KDE2.0 from Progeny, I could open several app's on
the workstation without problems, but there is a bug in konqueror in these
packages where it can't open html documents, which I find to be slightly
critical. This was why I upgraded. I am thinking that 1M is insuficient
space for the Ram drive. The terminals have 8M of memory. I'll be
contacting the ltsp crowd for their input. To increase the Ram drive size
will need both the kernel changed as well as the dhcp config file updated.
I'll also need to be sure that I leave enough memory available in the
terminal for it's own use.

Would anyone have any inputs on what the memory needs for running Debian
and KDE2.1 might be?

Cheers,

     John Gay