Re: How install KDE with Woody/testing?

> What is the best way to install Debian testing/(woody packages) & KDE, when
> the install is to 2001 HW, and is done entirely through a 56K modem?  (So,
> an important consideration is minimizing the ammount of data DL'd.) (Also
> important is getting the X drivers for the video HW.)
>
> Should one:
> 1. Install base system (potato).
> 2. Install X.
> 3. Install KDE.
> 4. Do dist-upgrade.
>
> Or:
> 1. Install base system.
> 2. Do dist-upgrade.
> 3. Install X.
> 4. Install KDE.

The second option, most definitely.  I firstly tried to upgrade a
fairly broken potato setup to woody, but that did not work out too
well at all.  I wiped it, and then just installed the base system from
my potato cd's.  Once you get into dselect, ^C out of it and edit your
sources.list to point to testing.  apt-get update && apt-get -fuy
dist-upgrade and I had a basic woody system. Fire up dselect again and
actually choose all the packages you want to install.  If you're on a
56k line (like I am), be prepared for a long wait; it took about 20
hours of downloading for me to get a fairly complete setup with
KDE2.1.1 (the latest at the time) and the Debian GNOME packages.

> Or, some other way?
>
> PS: any gotchas or tips or things to watch out for?
It was a while ago, but one thing I do remember is to make sure you
use debconf rather than debconf-tiny, which seems to have some issues
with perl 5.6.1.
> PPS: Would it be necessary, or suggested, in the above steps to install
> more than just the base system in step 1? (Ie., rather than doing that
> after KDE is installed.)
If you can manage the above steps without X, then you will be much
better off not installing anything more than a fairly bare base
system.  The naming of the X packages changed quite a bit between
potato and woody, so you will save yourself some grief if you only
have to install one set of them.

One last thing: If you are concerned that XFree86 4 does not support
your video card, check up www.xfree86.org.