DPMS & KDE

I don't know if this is a debian-specific problem,  but I've never gotten a
satisfactory answer (or even any answer at all). I can't get DPMS to work
properly with KDE. Let me say, first off that it works PERFECTLY with
Blackbox, so it's not a problem with my X setup. When I run 'xset dpms force
<whatever>', it does just what I tell it.

BUT, if I'm running KDE, running xset doesn't do jack squat. My monitor just
sits there, as if I had never done anything. And the kcontrol module doesn't
do anything, either.

It doesn't matter whether I'm using a version of KDE I've compiled or not -
I've tried both .debs and CVS checkouts, and there's no difference. I don't
think it has anything to do with the video card, because I had this problem
with my G400 Max, and still have it with a GeForce2 MX.

I'm running the latest sid, but I've had this problem for more than a year.

-David Watson