Installing KDE 2.1.1 kills the mouse in X

Hello,

has anyone experienced that installing KDE 2.1.1 the standard way kills the
mouse in X?
This just happened to me.

I had a clean standard Potato installation with everything off the official CDs.
I had a rudimentary X setup installed with TWM.
Both my mouse and keyboard worked fine.

Then I used dselect to install task-kde, task-kde-games, and a few of the
recommendations listed in dselect.

I installed from http://kde.tdyc.com potato main qt1apps optional crypto
(I got this line from David Dayan-Rosenman - thanks David :o))

Both task-kde and task-kde-games had version numer 2.1.15
I hope this is the stable KDE 2.1.1 installation meta packages.

Now my mouse is dead in X (the keyboard works).

I tried reconfiguring X using xf86config. I had the hope that the KDE 2.1.1
installation just had messed up the standard X configuration a little bit.
But that was not it.

I even tried reinstalling the entire computer - fdisk, initialising partitions,
installing Debian base, etc. The works. And then I tried another KDE 2.1.1
installation.
Same thing.

Everything seems to work fine in KDE. Well at least everything I can reack with
the keyboard. Unfortunately KDE is not quite there with mouseless operation
(pretty close though :o)). So I need to breath new life in my mouse.

I searched the list for something like this but there were no prior postings
about this problem.

Can anyone help?

Best regards
Johnny :o)