KDE 2.1.1 installation on Debian 2.2r3 stable help

Hello,

I really need help now.

I am trying to install KDE 2.1.1 on Debian 2.2r3 (Potato).
I can not get it installed. I'm stuck now. Can someone please help?

My Potato is freshly installed on a blank computer. It is all standard from
the official Debian 2.2r3 CD set. It contains the Debian base, the
task-x-window-core, and the correct x-server for my cideo card. Nothing else.

That is the starting point for my KDE installation.

This is what I have tried:

I downloaded a bunch of .deb packages from one of the places linked to
from the KDE installation page. It should be the correct set of packages. I
cross checked with some of the other mirrors, that the package sets were
identical.

I burned the packages on a CD in the directory dists/stable/main/binary-i386.
That is the path to all the packages as listed in the Packages.gz file.

I added the CD to sources.list using apt-cdrom add.
I ran apt-get update.

Then I have tried these differet ways of installation:

dpkg -i <package>
...as outlined in the installation guide on the KDE homepage.
All I get are loads of missing dependencies.

I then searched this list and recognised the following as possible
solutions to my problem:

apt-get install kdelibs3 (suggested in http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde-0105/msg00140.html)
It didn't work.

apt-get install task-kde kdebase (suggested in http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde-0104/msg00059.html)
It didn't work.

apt-get install kdelibs3 kdebase-libs (suggested in http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde-0104/msg00060.html)
It didn't work.

I tried installing task-kde using dselect.
It said there were inconsistencies and asked me to sort them out.
I used the suggested solution (I believe dselect makes a working selection for
you, right?)
Something installed, but not what was needed.
startx startkde didn't work. (In fact startkde has not been installed - it is
nowhere on my system).

Now I have reached the point where I can say only:

Help!

Please do not hesitate to ask for details.

Best regards
Johnny :o)