Re: Keys don't work properly in konsole

On Thursday 26 July 2001 08:37, David Bishop wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2001 02:26 am, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > on my Potato system with the latest KDE 2.1-installation and the debian
> > XFree86 4.0.3 packages installed I have trouble with certain key-events
> > in konsole: even though I selected
> >     xterm (XFree 4.x.x)
> > as a keyboard setting I can't use the begin or end keys. Is this a known
> > bug in KDE? Are there any workarounds?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Felix
>
> I've found that I have to play around with the setting of $TERM, the
> keymaping of konsole, depending on what shell I'm using, and also what OS
> (bash on solaris works different when I'm telneted to a sun box than it
> does in linux).  However, I've never had a situation that I wasn't able to
> find the "right" combo...  For example, to get all my keys working
> correctly, I use xterm (xfree 3.x.x), with $TERM=xterm.  That gives me
> color in vim, working backspace *and* delete, and pgup/pgdwn.

Hello,

	I too was following this link with great interest. Due to the same reasons.
Some time ago (months now) I lost the use of the HOME & END keys while within
X. I, as usual, didn't get too excited about it due to running UNSTABLE and
figuring it would be dealt with in time. Then when the question was finally
asked, my interest was peeked.

	David, where are you implimenting this "...$TERM=xterm..." command at? I
tried it from within a term, a console, via my .bash_profile, and so far
haven't had any luck at all. It's not a massively urgent thing, but  I really
would like the use of those keys back. :--)  I'm sorta a console junkie so I
have a number of xterms open and running while within X and it's a bit of a
pain to not have the functional keys when coding, etc.

Regards!

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                                 (541) 504-1388
                                                 (866) 562-7160
                                 Via IRC at; 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts
                                           Via ICQ: UIN 138930

"Failure is not an option...it's bundled with Microsoft"
						-anonymous-

"Software is like sex. They're both better when they're free!!" - Linus
Torvalds

"As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product."