Re: KDE and mp3 ripping support.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 09:26:43PM +0200, Robert Voigt wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 July 2001 19:16, John Gay wrote:
> > >If you mean software players, Vorbis plays on almost all of them, if
> > Is that 'ALL' software players, or just the Linux ones? In many Office
> > situations the workers find they only have access to M$ Media player.
> > Does this play ogg vorbis files? The hardware players are important
> > too, thus
> Sorry, I forgot Windows Media Player. I hear that work is under way to
> make it play Ogg. Otherwise support is very good on Windows, Winamp and
> others have been supporting Ogg for quite a while now.

The problem is this: In Windows XP Microsoft has introduced this "secure
media" thing. That means if you do not disable 'media security' or "Protect
my music" in the configuration (and most people will be afraid to disable
something called 'security'), the codec for Media Player will have to be
digitally signed to run. By Microsoft.

Real had trouble getting their codec in there at all. A free thing like
OggVorbis will probably also have trouble.

Microsoft does not WANT people to use anything BUT WMA. Because if they
would use open formats they would be able to switch to another platform
later on and still be able to play their music. That's bad, of course (for
Microsoft).

Morale: if you cannot force people to use your OS, force them on
proprietary file formats so they will lose all data if they do switch.

</rant>

--
Jens Benecke
http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Die kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale für ganz Europa