Re: preset bookmarks

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Achim Bohnet wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 July 2001 14:12, Jens Benecke wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 02:19:22PM -0600, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> >
> > > ok all you kde junkies...anyone know how I can setup a default bookmark
> > > list so that upon installation a user will have a few bookmarks (ie
> > > things like www.debian.org/debianplanet/etc...)?
> >
> > how about: just put it in /etc/skel/.kde/

Ya, that'll catch new accounts on the machine...

> > you won't overwrite old ones and don't have to care about scripts.

...but this leaves current KDE setups out in the cold (fine by me).

> How about: Add a 'Debian.desktop'  /usr/share/apps/kdesktop/DesktopLinks/
> and let this start 'konqueror /etc/kde2/debian-links.html'  (Unfortuntely
> konqueror /etc/kde2/booksmarks.xml gives an empty page)
>
> Advantages:
> 	o User can easily remove it.
> 	o Contents can be updated without modifying stuff in home dirs
> 	  (a no no according to policy).
> 	o works also with all browser as long as they are logged into kde

/etc is just simply the wrong place

Ivan,
How about the /etc/skel/... thing, and instructions (maybe a script,
eventually) on how to incorporate them into an existing bookmark file.

Too bad keditbookmarks can't import its own format.

- Bruce