Forking processes?

Hi all,
I'm running KDE 2.1.1 debs on a potato (2.2.3) machine. What can I do to
stop the following behavior: Whenever I start a program with the GUI
(and not from bash) I get two, seldom even three icons on the external
taskbar that indicate that the app is loading, with I presume as many
instances of the program starting. One of the two or three survives and
becomse the program, the others processes die. I find it annoying and it
takes more time for programs to become available for use at startup.

Someone suggested to me it could have something to do with old instances
of the .DCOPserver_debian not being deleted, and often I find a two or
three day old symlink of that name beside the present .DCOPserver. But
deleting this file does not help either. Is there any solution to this?

Best reagrds,

-- Andreas