Re: kpackage - rpm missing dependency?

>I am using the version from unstable and it definitely requires RPM. I
>was wondering why the hell was RPM support compiled into it in a Debian
>package.

kpackage is a KDE application, not just a Debian app. In fact, it is among
the few package management applications that works with both RPM's and
.deb's!

1)   RPM support might not be a configure item, it might be coded into it
directly. Thus disabling RPM support might not be possible.
2)   To disable RPM support, just because we are using a Debian-based
system is rather petty.
3)   As RPM's can cause damage to Debian-based systems, there needs to be
an intelligent way to determine which type of system it is installed on,
and then provide the appropriate warnings. We certainly do not want to use
rpm to install packages into our Debian system, just as RedHat users don't
want .deb's installed on their RPM-based systems. A possible solution is to
depend on alien and use this to convert the packages properly, but this
would need to be coded into kpackage.

This rpm depend/suggest was discussed here before. I don't have the mails
handy anymore, but I believe this was submitted upstream as a bug against
kpackage, though I might be wrong.

Some time in the future, when both Debian-based and RedHat-based systems
adhere to the same FHS and are using the same config file locations and
formats, then this won't matter, until then, we just have to learn to get
along.

Cheers,

     John Gay