apt-get upgrade to KDE 2.1.1 failed for potato-ppc

I have a stable Debian 2.2r3 system with KDE 1.1.2
installed. When I attempted to use the packages from
kde.debian.net to upgrade to KDE 2.1.1, the upgrade failed.

The issue appears to be a dependency on libmng1, which does
not exist in potato. What's worse, the version of
libmng1 in woody depends on libc6 >= 2.2.2-2, so I
can't just build from source and install by hand.
I would need to upgrade the whole system...which I'm
resisting, since it's running perfectly now.

Here are the details:

/home/tim# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  kdebase kdevelop korganizer
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

/home/tim# apt-get install kdebase
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  kdebase: Depends: kdelibs3 (>= 4:2.1.2-0) but it is not going to be
                    installed
           Depends: libmng1 (>= 1.0.0-0) but it is not installable
           Depends: libqt2 (>= 2:2.3.0-final-0) or
                    libqt2-gl (>= 2:2.3.0-final-0) but it is not going to be
                    installed
           Depends: kdebase-libs (>= 4:2.1.1.0-0.potato3) but it is not
                    going to be installed
           Depends: libkonq3 (>= 4:2.1.1.0-0.potato3) but it is not going to
                    be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

Any suggestions?