Re: kdm bug

On Wednesday 02 May 2001 02:26, Jens Benecke wrote something to this effect:

> > > I have this too.
> > > I'm running Woody/NVidia/Xfree4.0.2.
> > > --ernie
> >
> > I don't have that problem,
> > Geforce 2MX Nvidia's drivers 0.9-769 Progeny or Potato X4.02 no
> > antialiasing
>
> I don't have that problem, however the 0.9-769 drivers *do* have a serious
> memory leak here. (2.2.18, x4.0.2, woody)
>
> That means effectively my X desktop cannot stay up for more than 2-3 days,
> because X gradually gobbles up all available memory (the X process was
> 450MB big just before I killed it last time) and then Linux starts
> trashing.
[...]
	I don't know if this will apply to anyone following this link, but here
goes...

	Long ago (three years or more) I had xdm working on one of my machines which
was "interesting". But as I was a console junkie at the time, I didn't care
for it and removed it. Later I reinstalled and found that I too could not log
in. It wasn't until this year (THIS month) that I discovered the problem that
"I" was dueling with.
	As I said prior, I was a console junkie. Therefore, I wanted more vt's and
more power. Therefore I extended my inittab to cover this. I use F1 - F11 for
text vt's with F12 reserved for X11.
	Well, low-n-behold, while building a new box for a client it booted up with
xdm just wonderfully. BUT when I loaded my editted  /etc/inittab  onto the
machine I could no longer log in!!  It seems that the dm's (all as far as I
can tell) insist on living on F7. I commented out the line for F7, and magic
again occurs on a regular basis!!

	Dunno, my $ 0.02 worth....

- ----------------------------------------

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                                 (541) 504-1388
                                 Via IRC at; 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts
                                           Via ICQ: UIN 138930

"Failure is not an option...it's bundled with Microsoft"
						-anonymous-