Re: Long application startup time

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:25:37PM -0500, Gordon Sadler wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 06:31:42PM +0200, Jens Benecke wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if any of you have the same problem (perhaps on comparable
> > hardware: AMD K6-2 500, 192 MB RAM, SCSI hard disks, /home via NFS).
> > When I run KDE, *every* *single* *applicaion* (be it xterm, konsole,
> > konqueror, or whatever) needs at least 3-5 seconds MORE time to start
> > up than with e.g. IceWM.
> Celeron 300a, 128 MB, mix SCSI/IDE HDs. All local, no NFS..  Bit pokier
> than your setup. -)

> You don't say which version KDE you are running or Debian?
> stable/testing/unstable ------- KDE 2.[01].[01]/CVS

testing aka woody, KDE most-recent from kde.debian.net. (i.e. 2.1.1-3 or
something)

> I've got Ivan's most recent CVS snapshot debs here, with Debian unstable.
> Over the past few months at various times with local CVS builds and
> Ivan's FAST updated debs, I've experienced your problem. It always seems
> to go away with new packages or another CVS pull.

Hm. Is it possible that my $KDEHOME (~/.kde) has gotten overloaded over
time and there are lots of config files that are read and parsed but no
longer needed ATM?

I'm thinking of reconfiguring my desktop, i.e. deleting/moving ~/.kde.

> Another possibility, maybe NFS is causing your problems?

Might be, I don't know how many small files KDE keeps reading all the time.
I thought when it starts it puts all the stuff into some kind of system
cache and only saves that to disk when necessary.

--
Jens Benecke                   "Und deshalb sollte man ja auch immer _alle_
                                 Editoren installieren:  XEmacs _und_ Vim."