Re: Long application startup time

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 06:31:42PM +0200, Jens Benecke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if any of you have the same problem (perhaps on comparable
> hardware: AMD K6-2 500, 192 MB RAM, SCSI hard disks, /home via NFS).
>
> When I run KDE, *every* *single* *applicaion* (be it xterm, konsole,
> konqueror, or whatever) needs at least 3-5 seconds MORE time to start up
> than with e.g. IceWM.
>
> I.e. I type Alt-F2 + "xterm". CPU jumps to 100%. 3 seconds nothing happens.
> then xterm pops up and CPU goes down.
>
> I type "alt F2" and e.g. "gg:foobar". Sometimes >10 seconds elapse before a
> konqueror window pops up and shows me the results.
>

> Does anybody have a similar problem here?

Celeron 300a, 128 MB, mix SCSI/IDE HDs. All local, no NFS..
Bit pokier than your setup. -)

You don't say which version KDE you are running or Debian?
stable/testing/unstable ------- KDE 2.[01].[01]/CVS

I've got Ivan's most recent CVS snapshot debs here, with Debian
unstable. Over the past few months at various times with local CVS
builds and Ivan's FAST updated debs, I've experienced your problem. It
always seems to go away with new packages or another CVS pull.

Another possibility, maybe NFS is causing your problems?

Gordon Sadler