Long application startup time

Hi,

I wonder if any of you have the same problem (perhaps on comparable
hardware: AMD K6-2 500, 192 MB RAM, SCSI hard disks, /home via NFS).

When I run KDE, *every* *single* *applicaion* (be it xterm, konsole,
konqueror, or whatever) needs at least 3-5 seconds MORE time to start up
than with e.g. IceWM.

I.e. I type Alt-F2 + "xterm". CPU jumps to 100%. 3 seconds nothing happens.
then xterm pops up and CPU goes down.

I type "alt F2" and e.g. "gg:foobar". Sometimes >10 seconds elapse before a
konqueror window pops up and shows me the results.

Does anybody have a similar problem here?

--
Jens Benecke                   "Und deshalb sollte man ja auch immer _alle_
                                 Editoren installieren:  XEmacs _und_ Vim."