Re: Help! kdm loops

> I copied a perfectly working potato & kde2 installation from my portable to a
> partiotn of my desktop through NFS.
> Now it all works but kdm (and xdm).
> When  I start the service (./kdm start ) it propose me to enter the login  &
> password then the screen blackens and ,here it is again, the request for a
> login & password. In a nutshell kdm seems unable to start kde. The same
> behavior applies to xdm.
> I've surely messed up something. Take into account that startx makes kde
> start regularly!
> What sh ould I check now?

I had a similar problem. Can't remember the details. The config files of
xdm and kdm are not set correctly. Fixed it with an executeable
~/.xsession calling kde2.

There is another problem that xdm/kdm does not process profile and
logout files (bash and etc). Fixed it by calling it from .xsession as
well.

Seems to be a general xdm problem not kde specific.

Bye, Steffen