Re: KDE install on potato - still helpless newbie

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 02:06:57PM -0600, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:

> > >   apt-get install kdelibs3 kdebase-libs
> > > and if that works (which it should) then do your apt-get install
> > > task-kde or just use dselect and all of this would be avoided.

> > Doesn't this defeat the whole point of APT - i.e. resolving
> > dependencies automatically? I mean, if apt-get is unable to resolve a
> > conflict (because it cannot find/download/install some needed
> > packages), why should deslect (which uses apt-get) do any better?
> > (Just asking ;)

> apt is smart, but it also is smart enough not to make some decisions for
> you.  dselect forces the decision making whereas apt is designed to make
> decisions for you.  If it cannot make the decisions in a fashion it
> thinks is acceptable then it decides not to make the decision...which is

So if there is a choice of two packages which would satisfy dependencies
apt-get would give up and let the user decide. If that is what happened
above, then of course it's a good thing. I thought apt-get didn't know
where to get the two packages ("isn't going to be installed") and gave up
because of that.

> good.  too much logic can be a bad thing.  How would you like it if all

ACK.

> your also support was removed because it was not the default?  That's
> probably where the problem lies in the first place.

Perhaps. :) Thanks for the explanation.

--
" ...screams erupted at a Seattle hotel where Microsoft founder Bill Gates
was addressing an education and technology conference. (...)"