Re: KDE install on potato - still helpless newbie

> >   apt-get install kdelibs3 kdebase-libs
> > and if that works (which it should) then do your apt-get install task-kde
> > or just use dselect and all of this would be avoided.
>
> Doesn't this defeat the whole point of APT - i.e. resolving dependencies
> automatically? I mean, if apt-get is unable to resolve a conflict (because
> it cannot find/download/install some needed packages), why should deslect
> (which uses apt-get) do any better?
>
> Just asking ;)

apt is smart, but it also is smart enough not to make some decisions for you.
dselect forces the decision making whereas apt is designed to make decisions
for you.  If it cannot make the decisions in a fashion it thinks is acceptable
then it decides not to make the decision...which is good.  too much logic can
be a bad thing.  How would you like it if all your also support was removed
because it was not the default?  That's probably where the problem lies in
the first place.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II