Unstable KDE Dies

I'm running a system based on woody, and the KDE2.1 potato packages
were installed and working fine. I tried to upgrade to the ones from
unstable, and every KDE app I tried to run crashed on startup (I'm not
actually running KDE as a window manager or desktop, but calling
individual KDE applications from Window Maker). I also tried running
the full KDE and after displaying a grey screen and mouse cursor for a
while it crashed out back to the $ prompt with no error message.

I'm using libfreetype6 version 2.0.1-1, so it's not that problem. When
I downgraded libqt2 (& libqt2.2) from 2.3.0-final-1 to
2.3.0-final-0.potato1, everything started working again.

My graphics card is a Voodoo Banshee and I'm running XFree 4.0.2-7
from woody.

Any ideas?
--
Mike Scott