KDE install experiences -- savage3d

Hoi All!  (I'm subscribed now. :-))

Finally I managed to get KDE / (AA?) / TT fonts work.  Maybe some of you
are interested what I did:

every package is the newest (as today) from unstable;

the S3 module in X 4.0.2 is very outdated (doesn't even support RENDER),
so I got the newest from http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html (1min
to download + install);

I read http://trolls.troll.no/~lars/fonts/qt-fonts-HOWTO.html, unluckily
it didn't help much.  It has a pointer to
http://www.microsoft.com/truetype/fontpack/ from where you can grab some
good quality ttf fonts.

After 'apt-get install cabextract' I could extract the actual ttf files
from the .exe-s ('cabextract *.exe' does the trick).

I put them into /home/ignotus/.fonts/ (I don't want to pollute my /usr)
and after 'apt-get install fttools' I could run 'mkttfdir' (while in the
fonts dir).  I set font-path in both /etc/X11/XftConfig and
/etc/X11/XF86Config, hmm, I think it might be enough to set it in only
one of them (which?).  I removed all font servers (xfs, xfs-xtt,
xfs-tt), because I decided to use freetype2 (don't ask me why), and I
read somewhere that they are incompatible (xfs-tt is for X3, xfs-xtt and
freetype2 shouldn't be used together).

When I I restarted X, it recognised all the true type fonts, I turned on
AA in KDE Control Center, another restart and AA "worked".  Why are
those quotes?  I think there is a bug in s3 module's RENDER, because it
behaves very buggy: 95% of the time the fonts aren't visible, but if I
moves a window, or switch to console and back, the fonts are fine.  If a
do something (click on a icon etc) some fonts became invisible again.
Did any of you notice this?

--
ignotus
                                                    [[The Metamorphosis LITE]]