Re: Frustrated with anti-aliasing

same problem here *After* installing a lot of Windows TTF fonts (+1000 files)
however AA worked before, and is now working too.

I experienced enormous slowdown (10 min's to startup KDE with PII 300Mhz
128Mb RAM).
$ top     revealed a lot of processor usage by the kdeinit's and later
by the kmail konqueror etc processes

That's why you get the gray screen, it's *still* starting up...

I suggest to minimize the number of fonts in your truetype dir, it helped
with me.
I do not run the xfttf or xfs-ttf font servers, it gets its info (as i
believe) from the fonts.dir file i maked with mkttfdir from the fttool
package

hope it helps you

P.

Ps : i have an MGA G200 Matrox card working with latest XF4 CVS pull
PPS : check for the RENDER extention with xdpyinfo, if it is there you must
have AA with your Xserver

--
Grabel's Law
2 is not equal to 3 - not even for very large values of 2.