Re: on upgrading to testing

> 3) kde.tdyc.com is now gone so Ivan has no where to upgrade that tree for us
> stable users--Ivan has gone far and beyond what most people would have put up
> with this. I could live with, but for a desire to keep kde 2.1 bug-fixes
> current via apt-get.

not true.  There are many mirrors...only the master site has disappeared...
There have also been several promissing leads for a new master site...and
I will have a temp site up by the end of today...

plus I'm actually building updated packages right now for potato. :)

> So, to get what I want, I can either
>
> 1) bite the bullet and upgrade to 'testing' and install the kde 2.1 packages
> that have anti-aliasing capability compiled in, or
>
> 2) try to build the kde 2.1 packages from source like some have done

really what needs rebuilt is QT.  The only thing that rebuilding kde will
get you is an option in the styles section to manipulate the QT_XFT environment
variable...ie, turn it on or off...adding "export QT_XFT=1" to your kde2
start script or your bashrc or whatever will acomplish the same thing...

> P.S. do I need 'testing' or 'unstable' ?  If 'unstable', I will hold.

you would need at least testing + qt and kde from unstable.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II