Re: K Menu stops working at random

Le Mercredi 14 Mars 2001 21:21, Derrick Lee a écrit :
> Every few minutes or so, parts of the K Menu stops working.  Most of
> the time when this happens, none of the menu items in the first
> submenu ("Accessories" located in ~/.kde/share/applnk/Accessories)
> work, i.e. when I select Accessories->XMMS, nothing happens, not even
> an error message on VC1.  I tried making a copy of the Accessories
> directory to AAA (so the AAA and Accessories submenus are exactly the
> same), and when I see the K Menu strangeness occur, AAA menu options
> won't work while Accessories menu options will.
>
> I've tried running kbuildsycoca when the problem occurs, and sometimes
> if fixes things, sometimes it leaves the K Menu in a completely
> unusable state (all my submenus are missing, and only "Run Command"
> and "Logout" work).  When it does fix things, the problem returns
> after a few minutes.  I've tried enabling and disabling "Clear Menu
> Cache" and neither fixes the problem.  The only thing that
> consistently fixes the problem is logging out of KDE and restarting X.
>
> In my setup, many of the standard menus are hidden (as shown in their
> relevant .directory files).  The packages I have installed are as
> follows:
>
> derrick@buffy:~$ dpkg --list | grep kde
> ii  kdebase        2.1.0-4.1      KDE core applications
> ii  kdebase-crypto 2.1-final-0.po KDE core applications (Crypto modules)
> ii  kdebase-doc    2.1.0-4.1      Documentation for Applications in kdebase
> ii  kdebase-libs   2.1.0-4.1      KDE libraries amd modules for kdebase
> ii  kdegames       1.1.2-20000425 KDE games collection
> ii  kdelibs2g      1.1.2-final-1  KDE core libraries (runtime files)
> ii  kdelibs3       2.1.0-0.potato KDE core libraries (runtime files)
> ii  kdelibs3-crypt 2.1-final-0.po KDE core libraries (Crypto Modules)
> ii  kdesupport0g   1.1.2-final-1  mime, uuencode and QwSpriteField library
> - r
>
> derrick@buffy:~$ dpkg --list | grep qt
> ii  libqt1g        1.45-3         Shared Library used by applications
> linked w ii  libqt2         2.3.0-final-0. Qt GUI Library (runtime
> version). ii  libqt2.2       2.3.0-final-0. Qt GUI Library (Migration
> package).
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks.

  That has been reported last week several times. The new KDE2 packages are
post-2.1, not pure 2.1, and they are work-in-progress. Personnaly I
downgraded to the last pure 2.1 packages and I won't upgrade before the
release of final 2.1.1 (the K menu blinks as you describe, its entries become
unusable, the applets disappear while remaining in memory... it is completely
unusable).
  By the way, why do you have old KDE1 packages ? You still need them ? You
really should remove them.

--
Thibaut Cousin
email : cousin@in2p3.fr