Re: Kicker bug?

>one of the latest upgrades (Unstable, Sid, currently running
>kdebase_2.1.0.1-1_i386) seems to have corrupted my KDE2 panel.
>
>Every time I choose "Configure Panel/Add/Applet" the panel crashes and
>restarts.
>
>Just curious if anyone can reproduce this behavior?

I'm getting the same thing on my Progeny Woody/testing-based system. Also, the
icons for netscape and jpilot that I added to my panel have been replaced wiht
the default cog again.

Other than that, everything else seems to be running fine. I tried installing
the libfreetype6 from Ivan's link, but that made no difference and my next
apt-get upgrade re-installed the new one from my Progeny CD.

Ivan's recommended trying the KDE/QT stuff from sid on woody systems, but I'm
nervous about pointing to unstable. I was bitten quite badly a few times when
unstable=potato.

The bottom line for me is:

I like Ivan's KDE stuff. Progeny provides KDE2.0 but it is mostly broken. This
is why I chanced Ivan's stuff again.
Being an official Beta tester for Progeny, I don't want to stray too far from
Progeny's system. But I do want KDE2.1.
Has anyone got much experience with this type of system testing with unstable
KDE? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to Linux, so when
things start to go pear-shaped with my system it quickly degrades on me. Idealy
I would like to keep working with Ivan's stuff on my Progeny system but given
the choice of down-grading back to the Progeny KDE or trying to live on the
bleeding edge of unstable, I would probably be safer down-grading.

Anyone got some constructive comments?

Cheers,

     John Gay