Broken kde (arrgh..)

HELLLLPPP! I let dselect auto-upgrade everything on my sid
box (kernel 2.4.1) and, voila, broke kde.

So I deleted task-kde and kdebase and let dselect
delete all packages with dependancies, wiping out
kde.  Then I did an apt-get install task-kde and rinstalled
everything.

Now, kdm starts, gives me a login, starts KDE. KDE
gets through all 7(?) of it's pretty blinking icons
and then I get a gray screen.

Here's the output when I run startx >& startx.log.
(I clipped the Xserver stuff and just included the
KDE stuff).  ANY IDEAS?

(**) Generic Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
WARNING: library=artsd.la: No file names artsd.la found in paths.
QSocketNotifier: Multiple socket notifiers for same socket 6 and type read
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kwin path = <unknown>
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kdesktop path = <unknown>
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-4173' to 'kdesktop'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kicker path = <unknown>
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-4177' to 'kicker'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
WARNING: library=ktip.la: No file names ktip.la found in paths.
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = klipper path = <unknown>
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = khotkeys path = <unknown>
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kwrited path = <unknown>
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = ktip path = <unknown>
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-4180' to 'klipper'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-4183' to 'khotkeys'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-4185' to 'kwrited'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-4182' to 'ktip'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unexpected signal 2
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1

waiting for X server to shut down