kdm problems

Since installing KDE 2.1 (stable) on my Debian 2.2 (stable) I've had a
very nice graphical login, however since my last apt-get upgrade there's
been a slight problem. The graphical login refuses to accept any logins.
I enter my usual user name and password and I get "login failed". The
same happens for every account on the system.

If I go to console mode and login from the text prompt everything is
fine, but it doesn't show any failed login attempts. Is anyone else
seeing this problem? Any ideas what might be causing it?

Neil