kcheckpass fails to authenticate

This morning I upgraded the kde packages that were available for potato.
After I locked my screen in KDE, I was unable to unlock it (log back in). I
then killed the x-server and tried to log back in thru kdm...no dice. KDM
would not let any users log in...even root. There were no problems loggin in
to a normal shell however. I found this in /var/log/auth.log:

Mar  9 10:30:19 cartman kcheckpass[499]: authentication failure for user
uhlhorn [uid 1000]

Anyone know what happened?

Thanks,
Stephen