Re: Little advice for AA

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 01:01:51PM +0100, Thibaut Cousin wrote:
>   I've read everything recently about AA, and made it work out-of-the-box at
> home.
>   But at work, no such luck. The only thing I can think of is the xserver. At
> home I use the mga driver, at work it is the ati driver. Is it possible that
> AA works with some drivers and not others ? Something to do with the RENDER
> extension (which works at home but not at work) ?

It's entirely possible...One of the reasons the X maintainer has been
producing static libs for Xft and Xrender is becuase it's still a work in
progress.  This is changing now that QT uses it.  The developers doing this
work on X now have something to work on...instead of being a feature that
someone could use in the future...its a feature currently in use...and
extremly popular to boot.   I' have read on the kde lists that there are
some drivers that do not support Xft properly currently...especially non-X
drivers...(nvidia for example..the X nvidia drivers support it..but the
nvidia enhanced ones by nvidia don't...or something like that)....

All of this is yet another reason why QT does not enable Xft support
by default.  KDE turns it on by default...we saw that when I first uploaded
all the AA enabled stuff...I've since turned it off by default.

Starting with the 4.0.3 release of X we will see shared versions of Xft and
Xrender which will be nice...

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II