font MADNESS

yes, yes, i read the archives. give me a sec here, k? :)

so yeah, i had the same "no-font" problem as everyone else. with a few
twists.

i went and downloaded ~1600 truetype fonts, setup xfs-xtt, and was
happy. well, almost happy.

1. with that many fonts, _everything_ kde slows to a crawl. launching
konqueror took upwards of a minute. i could open netscape 4.x, get the
info i needed, and close it before konqueror would start
sometimes. this went away when i dropped down to ~8 or so tt
fonts. maybe a bug in xfs-xtt?

2. i think this may also be a bug in xfs-xtt, but font configuration
dialogs for fixed-width fonts don't work properly. they only show one
font, "fixed," which doesn't actually exist. it just seems to match
the first available font, and if that font doesn't have e.g. bold or
italic styles, completely different fonts are used for those. i can't
get konsole to work properly because of this. maybe i just need a
truetype font named "fixed?"

3. even though the option for aa fonts was turned off in the control
panel by default, kde was still using aa. does this option have any
effect at all?

any suggestions that _don't_ involve turning off aa?

running sid, current as of right now.

--
|  :; ;:      "i feel the cold knife blade of disgust in my gut, like a shot." |