Konsole & AA fonts

Hello,

I noticed that AA fonts have been disabled in the latest uploads of KDE2.1, for reason that Konsole has problems with them.

In my experience, Konsole doesn't have any problems with AA fonts, it just has a problem with non-fixed width fonts.

And with AA fonts enabled, Konsole gets a problem when the X Server can't find any fixed-width fonts for Konsole on it's request. AT that point, the X server maps the requested font to some proportional font, and that messes up Konsole.
When Xft is properly configured, this shouldn't happen and Konsole looks just beautiful.

The problem is that I am not quite sure on the details of how Xft really works and how it's font-mappings actually work. I also don't know what kind of font Konsole requests that it doesn't even get a simple Courier from the X server.

I tweaked XftConfig and added a monotype-font from Keith Packard's website (www.keithp.com/~keithp) but I don't know how free that font is.

After the tweaks, Konsole works well with AA fonts. For small font-sizes, it even get a Courier font.

I have a lot of fonts installed which do not come with Debian, like windows TT fonts and several Cyrillic fonts. So I can't really say what tweaks to XftConfig are really nessecary to make Konsole happy when using the fonts available with stock Debian.

Does anyone have any sort of useful documentation on Xft and the XftConfig file? I haven't yet come across any!

With regards,

--Tim