Re: KNode and Startup Delay?

Am Mittwoch, 28. Februar 2001 00:01 schrieb Ricardo Villalba:
> El Lun 26 Feb 2001 13:15, Robert Tilley escribió:
> > Whenever I begin the program KNode, there is a startup delay between the
> > windows opening, clicking an a news group and the newsgroup actually
> > being selected and displaying it's contents.  This delay has been
> > measured to be more than 20 seconds in some cases.
>
> You're lucky. In my case it takes 2 minutes (in my pentium 133).
> I'm using KNode/0.4beta3. KNode 0.3.3 doesn't have this delay!!!
>
> > Can someone provide information?  This begins by clicking on the KNode
> > icon. Approximately 20 seconds can elapse before any mouse clicks are
> > interpreted and menus drop down.  It seems to be doing some internal
> > newsgroup consistency checking, but that's only my feeling.
>
> No. According to strace it is trying to open some configuration files from
> kde once and again, maybe for each message.
>
> I've been told the knode from kde 2.1 is faster, which version do you have?

Yes, looking for new articles is non-blocking now (as it was in kde2.0).
Try the following (I am german so you may have to improve on the setting
names):
Properties of knode --> reading news -->first suboption --> first checkbox
(something about checking for new articles without asking when entering a
news group).
Turn that off an try again.

HS

--