kdesktop.so error?

Hi,

If this is not the correct place for this question, please let me know of
a more appropriate forum to ask.

I just updated my debian potato to use the KDE 2.0.1.  I did the
installation with debian packages.  Previously I used KDE 1.1.2, which I
compiled myself (still in the machine, too).  So thank you for the fine
debian packages!

When I start the newly installed KDE, there are errors like:

Could not dlopen library kdesktop.la: /usr/lib/kdesktop.so: undefined
symbol: noxim
Could not load library! Trying exec....
kdesktop: error in loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/kdesktop.so:
undefined symbol: noxim
Could not dlopen library artsd.la: file not found
Could not load library! Trying exec....

Despite these, KDE starts nicely.  But then, as I tried to configure my
gray background on the desktop, the desktop background won't update to
anything but that light-gray, which it already is.  Also, pushing the
mouse buttons on the desktop don't raise any menus (I understand they
should, atleast after configuring them from control center).  Kpanel works
fine.  I assume that those problems have something to do with the error.

And then, also the following error messages show up in the console where I
run startx:

KDE detected X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9
  Major opcode:  14
KDE detected X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
  Major opcode:  42

Both error types are repeated many times on the screen...

I don't really know anymore where to look to fix the problem, so thank you
for any information!

  -- Kennu  (Kenneth.Kronholm@hut.fi)