Re: KAppTemplate

> > > Are any developers looking at KAppTemplate w.r.t. having it generate
> > > up to date Debianized KDE app templates?
> > >
> > > I've noticed that the debianrules supplied with the most recent
> > > kapptemplate is not the same as the current one from Ivan
> > > (ftp://kde.tdyc.com/pub/kde/kde.debian.tgz).

well...the one in kapptemplate should be the most up to date one.
It currently resides in kde-common or whatever it's called.  The tgz file
above was a slap together to help people.  kapptemplate contains the
kde-common files so it *should* be up to date.

> > > It would be nice to have these two pieces merged.
> >
> > Well, I am not at all opposed to have debianized templates... but
> > since I don't have any Debian systems around and have never even used
> > Debian, I wouldn't know where to start.
>
> Ya, that is why I sent a copy off to the debian-kde list; perhaps Ivan
> or one of the other developers will jump in.

once dh-make contains the ability for custom templates I'll upload a
kde template package.

> > You mention a 'debianrules' file.  The one that I see in kapptemplate
> > is in the 'admin' module which is the global one in KDE CVS.  I see
> > that the date on it for the most current version is Feb 04.  I
> > downloaded Ivan's version and his 'debianrules' file is Dec 04.
>
> Hmmm, all I really had to go on was the file size.  The debianrules
> from Ivan is 12-04-00, the one from kapptemplate-1.0.4.tar.bz2 is
> 02-15-01 (when you built the archive, eh).
>
> Ivan, did I give the proper URL for the latest templates from you (if
> you changed the location and didn't rm the old stuff I may have the
> wrong one)?  just curious 'cause...
>
> It doesn't really matter which debianrules is most current, they are
> different, and that sounds like a potential problem.

the one in CVS is the most up to date...(debianrules that is)  I have not
updated the templates on kde.tdyc.com in a while.

> > Is that all that's needed, in any event?  Ivan's package has a bunch
> > of other files that I haven't a clue what are used for.
>
> I'm not sure, which is why I brought it up in the forum I did.
>
> The other files are templates for stuff required by Debian Policy;
> there are programs used to Debianize and build .deb packages which
> find information in the src tree (author, contact info, pkg name,
> version, etc.) and incorporate it into the templates... cuts down on
> the manual editing needed to get all the bits in place.
>
> I imagine a kapptemplate that could produce a proper debianized source
> tree would need to (in addition to what it already does): stuff the
> proper templates into the debian subdir, run dh_make.  The "proper
> templates" would probably need to be created from what Ivan has
> already done, so they conform to KDE's policies regarding "kapp",
> "kpartapp", "kpartplugin", etc... but that is getting a little beyond
> my current skill level - I'm hoping a Debian developer picks up the
> ball.

I know *jack* about kapptemplate.

Ivan

--