Re: lists of packages

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> > is there any way to get a list of what kde packages are available?  The
>
> no way to get a full list.  You can find out what packages make up task-kde
> by looking in /var/lib/dpkg/available

Not to look the free software horse in the mouth, or anything, but is
there anything that can be done about this?  It would be terribly
convenient to be able to browse as per www.debian.org/distrib/packages.

More importantly, though, I just ran

   apt-get update

with

   deb ftp://kde.tdyc.com/pub/kde potato main crypto optional qt1apps

in /etc/apt/sources.list

and nothing shows up in /var/lib/dpkg/available.

Am I misunderstanding how available works?

Finally, last time I did a apt-get install task-kde I didn't get kmail,
but was able to apt-get install kmail separately (it never worked, but
that's another story).  Wouldn't this mean there are kde packages
available which are not in task-kde?