knotify starts against my will

In order to conserve memory (which is in short supply) and
to speed up the startup process, I tried to disable knotify
by commenting out its entry in the /usr/bin/kde2 script. The
problem is that knotify starts up anyway, via kdeinit. How
can I disable it? I don't even know what's starting it.

IMHO, optional programs (such as knotify) should only be
started automatically from the kde2 startup script, so that
we can choose to disable them if we wish.

Thanks for your help.

(By the way, I'm using kde 2.01.)

--
John Patton                      patton66@home.com
Get my GnuPG public key: finger john@24.10.213.227

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they
are open."  - Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)