Re: kde2 + xfree4.0.1 + nvidia's drivers

> Being a user (and no developper) that is having problems with the new
> kde2 I hope, that this is the right address I send my calls for help to.
> Please be nice to me, if this list is dedicated to other issues.

this list is for all Debian KDE issues...whether user or developer.

> I am currently using kde2 (2.0-final-12), under Xfree4.0
> (XFree86-4.0.1-8) and since I have an asus-v6600 grafixcard i use
> nVidia's drivers (both kernel- and GLX-modules 0.9_5) to have good
> openGL-support.
>
> Starting the kdm results into a Segmentation fault:
> this is, what the gdb outputs:

[...]

> obviously the nVidia-modules are somehow involved in this (libGL.so.1 +
> libGLcore.so.1) and I would like to blame them, but:
> X starts fine
> xdm starts fine (though very slow)
> kde2 can be started, after the Xserver is up (pE: start xdm -> login ->
> kill twm (to avoid double wm's) -> type "kde2" into a console ==> kde2
> starts)
>
> So I might think that the bug is somewhere in kdm or maybe in the
> ld-linux.so.2
> any hints ?

there has been problems with nvidia support for a while...and with the
invent of X4 it's increased.  X4's GL support is still incomplete/buggy and
unfortunatly that is all I have to build against for GL support.  This
will change as X smooths out and as other apps catch up. I'm not saying
100% that this is X4's problem but rather that I've seen other problems
and have had heard that X4's xlibmesa stuff is still being tweaked.

I'm almost 100% sure it's an incompatability between xlibmesa and the
nvidia's gl support.

your best bet is to stay clear of kdm (since you say kde works fine once
your in) until this gets worked out.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II