Re: Remaining task packages ...

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:48:25PM +0100, John Gay wrote:

[snip]

> >    junior-system-tools
> >    Depends: lavaps, mc, xcruise
> >
> I know that there is a file system explorer that will let you 'fly' through
> your file system like a spaceship through solar systems. Let me check a few
> sites. It's not much use, but my daughter thinks it's cool!

xcruise does this...  The one your daughter likes is different?

> There is also some source-code for a 3-D file system explorer available from
> SGI. It only kinda works on SGI machines, but has some doc's and info for
> porting to other platforms. If we can get a programmer to have a look and get
> a Linux port working, this might also be of interest!
>
> >    junior-3d-games
> >    Depends: armagetron, gltron, tuxracer
> >
> I installed tuxracer on my system. With a dual PII350, 256M and an
> ATI RageIIc+ 8M AGP video card. This ran INCREDIBLY slow on my
> system. Probably because I don't have hardware accelleration set-up.
> I haven't tried the other two games. I'll have a look. But, if
> tuxracer is so slow, you might want to seperate it out for those who
> have the hardware and software set-up to use it.

hence the junior- *3d* -games :)  I can't imagine *any* 3d game running
decently on a system without 3d acceleration.  And, FWIW, I don't
believe you particular card is supported wrt 3d acceleration.

I don't have 3d hardware myself :( but I have seen both tuxracer and
armegetron played with acceleration and they are both very nice.

[snip]

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

"We waste so many moments standing on convention"
                -- Nick Hexum