Re:

In other circumstances that would be OK, but Oracle pulling the plug and Debian as well, also; I get that point, but there were two reasons given, not one:
Buster will be supported until 2024 and Red
Hat has vowed to maintain OpenJDK 8 until 2023. That would leave OpenJDK
8 in Buster without security fixes for one year.
So it looked to me the 1st point made wasn't as important as you want to point out, the transition from JDK 8 to 11 is too big to just treat as JDK 5 to 6 and so on.

Guido.