Re: ITP: temporary tomcat8-legacy

Hi Timo,

Le 18/09/2017 à 07:57, Timo Aaltonen a écrit :

>   Since 8.5.x broke tomcatjss & dogtag-pki (and thus freeipa) and it got
> synced to Ubuntu too, I'm planning on packaging tomcat 8.0.x as a
> temporary legacy package until these packages are ported over (might
> take six months still).
>
> Are there any objections?

No objection from me but I think this is a really a bad idea. Tomcat
8.0.x will be EOLed at the end of June 2018, upstream will thus drop
security support 2 months after the release of the next Ubuntu LTS.

If you go this way I have a few suggestions:
- Use tomcat8.0 as package name (for consistency with past Tomcat packages)
- Don't build libservlet3.1-java (the one from src:tomcat8 can be reused)
- If dogtag-pki only uses tomcat8-user (and its dependencies), don't
build the tomcat8 binary to ensure nobody installs an obsolete daemon
accidentally.
- File a RC bug to prevent the migration to testing

Emmanuel Bourg