Re: Please help freeing libcolt-java [Was: Update on Trinityrnaseq packaging]

On 22.02.2015 09:47, Andreas Tille wrote:
[...]
> Whatever helps to get a free functionality of libcolt-java would be
> really helpful.

I think Emmanuel has already pointed in the right directions. Just to
clarify what exactly is controversial or difficult and has to be done.

The *.java files under src/hep/aida/ in Colt belong to the freehep-aida
project at http://aida.freehep.org/ and are licensed under LGPL-2.1. I
have checked out the CVS repository and the source files are accompanied
by the full LGPL license in LGPL.txt. No signs of exceptions.

The files under src/hep/aida/ref can be traced back to freehep-jaida
http://java.freehep.org/jaida/. The source files are located in a SVN
repository:

svn checkout svn://svn.freehep.org/svn/freehep/trunk/jaida jaida

See freehep-jaida/src/main/java/hep/aida/ref

It looks like most of them are very similar to the ones you can find in
colt. All jaida files are also licensed under the LGPL-2.1.

That leaves src/hep/aida/bin where I couldn't find correspondent files
on freehep.org. That means you probably have to remove the whole
directory and try to recompile colt. Every class that imports
"hep.aida.bin" will need a patch or has to be excluded as well.

I have not verified how Apache Mahout can replace the affected
functionality and whether it is possible at all.

So far

Markus