Re: Frustration with trying to build Debian packages from Maven-based sources

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 16:47 +0100, Hilko Bengen wrote:

> Initially, all I wanted to do was to build a proper Debian package for
> ElasticSearch (#660826). It turns out that some needed
> build-dependencies are not in Debian yet, so I start with version 2 of
> jackson-core by downloading the jackson-core-2.1.4...

Would you mind filing an ITP for jackson-core2? I too need this library to
satisfy a build dependency and had a short look at the upstream code. The main
issue that prevented me from going forward for now was an issue with their
dual-licensing in that they seem to only have a license for already built jars
but nothing stating explicitly that the same licensing is valid for their
source code.

Did you resolve that issue already or should we (I can happily do that)
contact upstream first and ask them to clarify their licensing. (best with a
LICENSE in their tarball). It also looks as if the same issue holds true for
the currently packaged libjackson-core-java, but I have to look into that in
detail.

Is your current packaging available somewhere? I am sorry to hear about the
issues you ran into and I am very much looking forward to replies by people
who are more experienced with Java packaging than I. That being said: I
wouldn't mind taking a look at your attempt so far and might even be able to
fix one or two things. Could the currently packaged libjackson-java-core serve
as a good example? (assuming upstream didn't change their packaging that
massively)
--
Wolodja <debian@babilen5.org>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC