iceweasel javaplugin

I am experiencing strange behavior of the sun java6 plugin in iceweasel
on a Lenny installation.
 iceweasel       3.0.6-3
 sun-java6-plugin 6-12-1 (/etc/alternatives/iceweasel-javaplugin.so ->
                      /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so)
Tested with http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml or other
applets gives the spinning pattern for about THREE MINUTES until the
applet suddenly starts.  On the same box, konqueror starts the applets
quickly.  I copied an applet from the internet which exhibits the slow
start.  When iceweasel accesses it from the disk, it starts quickly.  On
another Lenny box with the same versions, the applets start quickly from
iceweasel.

I have tried purging java and reinstalling.  I don't see anything
obvious using wireshark and strace.  I get the same result under a new
user id without previous iceweasel use.

The slow system was not a fresh install, but was upgraded.  I suspect
there is some inherited setting somewhere causing this.  Does anyone
have a clue?  A java debug technique?