Re: About source format 3.0

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> Eric Lavarde wrote:
>> I'm using heavily svn-buildpackage, so I won't switch until it's
>> supported. Furthermore, it makes multi-platform packaging (Debian, older
>> Debian, Ubuntu, etc...) more difficult.
>>
>> And honestly, I don't understand why we should switch "as a team". It's
>> a packager's and sponsor's decision, no!?
>
>  I agree with you here. I don't think there are plans to make source
> format 3.0 mandatory in a close future, so I don't think we should
> switch, especially since the benefits, as far as I'm concerned, are
> relatively small.

The reason I asked if we should switch as team is because one of the
conclusions of debconf discussions was that we will be no longer using
cdbs simple patchsys to make transition to source format 3 easier. [1]

As to svn-buildpackage, the information provided on the wiki is
confusing. The page says s-bp does not support 3.0 format but the
thread linked there only discusses support for orig tarballs in bzip2
or lzma format. I will try to test svn-buildpackage myself and post
the results.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2009/07/msg00068.html

Onkar