About eclipse (was Re: Package depending on netbeans)

Onkar Shinde wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre@debian.org> wrote:
>> Le mercredi 11 novembre 2009 à 13:50 +0530, Onkar Shinde a écrit :
>>> [ ...]
>>> Ad for Eclipse, there are already three developers working on updating
>>> the package. It is not an easy task. :-)
>> In Ubuntu you mean ?
>
> No. I meant Debian. http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-java/eclipse.git
>

> Onkar

Hi

Yes, Onkar said, we are working on it from Debian as well; though I
admit it may not have been very visible.

As the Ubuntu release approached Matthias Klose (doko) requested that we
uploaded eclipse to Ubuntu before it froze. As you have noticed we took
that offer and began to upload to gain better testing coverage; which
have unveiled a few bugs and solutions. Now that things have slowed down
a bit on the Ubuntu side we will "return" to Debian and get it uploaded
here.

One of the prime factors for not uploading to Debian yet is that eclipse
does not use system jars but pre-bundled ones. We are currently working
on that and three other things[1] we want fixed before we upload to
Debian/Experimental. Help is of course more than welcome - particularly
people skilled with ant, since a lot of our work involves translating
the Fedora spec file into ant code and sending it to eclipse-build.

Nevertheless; Sunday we updated BTS to reflect what bugs that we have
fixed (or at least expect to have fixed) and we dropped the "open" bug
count from 34 to 12. I believe two more are fixed but I want to test
them with the latest version of our build first. Another two can be
reassigned to Azureus/be closed when eclipse hits unstable (#541638,
#538808).

All in all, we hope to provide a vastly better eclipse package for
squeeze and dropping the bugs against eclipse to less than 10 at the
same time. Once eclipse reaches experimental/unstable (and possibly
before) we will start on eclipse-cdt; which involves 3 or so ITPs/ITAs
first and perhaps even booting life into a maintainer (if it is not a
pkg-java) - though I haven't checked beyond the ITPs/ITAs I already claimed.

@Onkar: While it is a fair assumption that only a team of DDs would be
insane enough to ITA eclipse; the truth is that the "Debian Orbital
Alignment Team"[2] only consists of 2 DMs and a "(no title)". On a
related note; it will be one hell of an RFS...

~Niels

[1] See the 4 first entries in our TODO list for more info.
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-java/eclipse.git;a=blob;f=debian/TODO;h=cd1eb8dfb861284056e7e2e75ddbdf885454f64f;hb=b1acc83825a61c1451b1ca26d1078801eb609259

[2] To remove any doubts: We will use "Debian Java Maintainers" as
Maintainer.

PS: I removed all the CCs, because no one appeared to have a "Please CC me".