Re: RFP: jrockit -- A virtual machine for Java

* Johan Walles <walles@mailblocks.com> [2004-10-05 00:46:22 -0700]:

> I've attached the re-distribution license agreement to the RFP at
> "http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=273693";.  It's in MS
> Word format, but it opens fine in OpenOffice.
>
> I couldn't spot any show-stoppers in it, but then again, I might be
> biased :-).
 Well, I think the very first sentence after the title is a
show-stopper. It reads:
"THIS JROCKIT BINARY RE-DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENT [...] is entered into [...]
by and between BEA Systems, Inc. [...] and _______, a _________
corporation [...]."
Yes, you can fill in Debian GNU/Linux into the empty fields, but DFSG #8
says:
"License Must Not Be Specific to Debian
 The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's
 being part of a Debian system. If the program is extracted from Debian
 and used or distributed without Debian but otherwise within the terms
 of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is
 redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in
 conjunction with the Debian system."

Also, please see DFSG #2:
"Source Code
 The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in
 source code as well as compiled form."

Sorry if I missed the point that the source is available for JRockit.
I am completely unexperienced with legal stuff, so I may be wrong; so
debian-devel@ would be a better place to talk about this
license/agreement.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS