Free Java (Was: Trouble with VM?)

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 05:25:35PM +0100, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Hi Jose,
>
> José Fonseca wrote:
>

> >PS: It's so sad that Java can't be included in standard Debian... :-(
>
> You can help improve the quality of the free java runtimes included in
> debian by lending a hand to the various free java runtime efforts out
> there (kaffe, sablevm, gcj, ...) , if you meet certain clean-room
> conditions. They are getter better every day thanks to many people who
> decided to stop waiting for Sun to make java free and take the necessary
> steps themselves. You could be one of us. ;)

Unfortunately my time is limited, and much of it is already dedicated to
help in other open-source efforts.

My rant was really towards Sun's Java policy... (Where is that
widely-available Java for Linux that Sun together with RedHat would
bring to us?)

But supposing I want to help one of the honorable efforts you mention
above, just by testing it and submiting the bug-reports (or even take a
stab at it myself), exactly which of those (kaffe, sablevm, gcj, ...)
should I try to use? This is a question I had asked myself before.
Regarding the classpath library there seems to be convergency towards
the Gnu classpath library. But which VM (of the so many out there) is
the open-source community backing in full-weight?

I know that competition is natural (and quite often favorable) in
open-source. But I can't help thinking I may be backing the wrong horse,
and my time spent on it be in vain.

Any thoughts about this?

Jose Fonseca