Re: Status of GCC 3.2 and java?

Rupa Schomaker wrote:

> Will there be a version of the JDK that is built with GCC 3.2?  Now
> that the transition is on-going in unstable, it would be nice to be
> able to get the JDK in sync with the rest.

The relevant changes to gcc affect g++, the C++ compiler, and break
binary compatibility with earlier versions. This does not affect C
programs and libraries. The JDK does not use C++, so there's no
compatibility problem.

> eg: You can't use the java plugin with Mozilla anymore because Mozilla
> is being built with 3.2.

You can -- I am, anyway.

ii  mozilla-browser          1.2.1-9
ii  j2re1.4                  1.4.0.99beta-1

I'm getting my j2* packages from a blackdown mirror. See
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/mirrors.html

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                       They tell you that the darkness
mailto:schuerig@acm.org                      is a blessing in disguise.