Re: Java plugin advocacy

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 10:20 pm, Rick Lutowski wrote:
> Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> > as you think. Users *are* installing add-ons for flash and other crap.
>
> Only the more technically savvy ones.  The majority of users
> don't know what a plug-in is and/or couldn't care less.  That's
> why any technology based on plug-ins will never reach the
> majority.  For something to be widely useful in a browser it
> has to be pre-installed by the vendor.

On the contrary - most sites automatically open the plugin download site if
the browser doesn't already have the plugin required. Assuming the user has
the necessary permissions it can be as simple as clicking the 'install this
plugin' link. Even complete technophobes (I work with some of them ;c) manage
that without even thinking.

--
Geoff Beaumont
Geoff@stormhammer.com