Re: Java libraries and proposal.

Joe> Does the GNU definition say that the arch-independent stuff
Joe> "must" or "should" go there, or do they just say that it "can"?
Joe> Is /usr/lib/appname just as legal for the stuff that's
Joe> arch-independent or is it discouraged?

GNU coding standards don't tend to be very legalistic.  However in
general I believe it is understood that architecture-independent files
should go in datadir (/usr/share) and furthermore that most files
for new programs should be architecture-independent.

See the info node (standards)Directory Variables for details.

Tom