Re: Java libraries and proposal.

Joe> Well, to me, "share" means share, which the jvm-specific libs
Joe> aren't meant for.

FYI, traditionally `share' has actually meant
`architecture-independent'.

Fair enough. Since I only go into /usr/share/java and /usr/share/doc, I had come to view it as the place where architecture-independent and *application*-independent files reside. After all, lots of different apps can make use of the stuff in /usr/share/java and /usr/share/doc.

Does the GNU definition say that the arch-independent stuff "must" or "should" go there, or do they just say that it "can"? Is /usr/lib/appname just as legal for the stuff that's arch-independent or is it discouraged?

- Joe